Just another WordPress.com site

Screen Shots of the Process

(Above) After alligning the polygons and combining them into one polygon, I used the merge to centre to join the appropriate vertices.

(Above) After applying the checkered texture, I could see that the UV map of the stem needed adjusting. mirrored the UV shells in the end but couldn’t sew the edge’s because of the complex structure of the stem.

(Above) I found a texture on Google and it looked like dinosaur skin. In Photoshop I used adjustments>hue/saturation to change the colour and filter>noise>add noise to distort the look. I also applied clipping masks and added some gradient of different colours. In the end I had developed 5 different textures and tried them all on the petals. The green on the petals did not look right and were to dark to show off the creases of the petals. So I discarded these textures for the petals but might use them for other parts of the plant or the UFO.

(Above) This is another one of the textures and this one had another colour fused with the green. It looked great as a texture but it didn’t suit the petals.

(Above) I started off using different colours in Photoshop to create the base of the alien skin but the colours seemed to look flat. I them search for some textures on Google and found one that looked the part. I didn’t use the whole image, only a few chunks and adjusted the colour. I reduced the opacity of the texture and applied more layers of different colours on top. I also applied clipping masks to some layers and added gradients. I used some grainy brushes in Photoshop to add dots of colour. The image above shows that I used a lambert to apply the texture to the face of the alien and In the render view it shows the texture showing through even though in the Maya panel its flat. I also bump mapped the texture by duplicating the layers and desaturating them. I also played with the levels in adjustment because the desaturated face of the alien looked too light so I made it darker. I made sure that the desaturated layers were on top and visible and then I saved the file as a TIFF file. I then uploaded it into Maya through bump mapping in the Attribute Editor.

(Above) The same process except instead of using a lambert, I’ve used a blinn. I tried using a phong but it came out too bright.

(Above) Here I’ve decreased the diffuse option by 100 to make it slightly darker as it was very bright.

(Above) The gradient of each petal was hand drawn but it looked very bright and no texture made it look flat.

(Above) I also tried to dim the colour but it still didn’t look good as it didn’t match the face texture.

(Above) I created another texture for the petals. This time I like the colour but I have to take off the bump mapping because the petals don’t suit textures that appear 3D. I think I just need to keep the texture simple and not use the bump mapping for the petals.

(Above) Just to see how this will look if the texture is applied with a blinn. The petals on the sides look great because of the slight bumpiness on the petals but I need to reduced the heavy texture on other areas. Other than that I think a blinn does a better job than a lambert. The lambert makes the alien look matte and unrealistic.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s