Statement of Intent Proforma (1st Attempt)
2. Your Proposal for Study –
eg. Self Set Brief, Live / Competition Brief, Area of Research?
A self set brief.
For the brief – Create a promotional video for Digital Film, Game and Animation. This brief will focus on film post production, visual effects and animation.
- Using Adobe After Effects and associated software, composite footage together and produce visual effects and 3D effects.
- Choose from or combine the options –
- (i) Using Maya develop/use a 3D a character from a previous module – which should be rigged and animated for the purpose of this brief;
- (ii) or/and develop 3D typography and animate for the use of the video;
- (iii) or/and using Adobe Photoshop and associated software to design the character or graphic art for the questioning.
- Knowledge from previous modules will enhance the outcome of this brief further.
- Student will be allowed to use any other media necessary.
By Intrim Crit – Will have carried out planning and produced:
- Questionnaire – when interviewing students and staff
- Research – documentation and development
- Gant chart
By Final Crit – Produce the necessary material for final piece and start:
- Compositing footage of interviewed students and staff.
- A 3D character – rigged and animated.
- Generating visual effects.
3. Deliverables – What will you produce by the end of the module ?
Irrespective of what you choose please give some details, for example:
A 2 minute short film.
x2 Game characters from concept to realisation in 3d
A one minute 3D animation.
A fly though of a fully rendered architectural space.
An investigation of a piece of technology or software exploration – the outcome being a case study/comparison of the pros and cons it it, or identifying the potential for future projects.
Where possible also try to give some technical details.
- Finished video should be at least 1 minute long but no longer than 2 minutes, excluding any title sequence, and should be presented in Quicktime.
- Printed leaflets and flyers promoting Digital Film, Games and Animation.
4. Are there any stakeholders in your project?
(eg. working with external organisations or individuals?) Is this a group project? If this is a group project what will your roles and responsibilities be within the group.
Possibly might involve other students for sound and animation but not confirmed.
Will interview other students and staff for the promotional video.
5. Please List any Resources / Equipment you may require.
Equipment and resourcs:
- Video camera + tripod
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe After Effects
- Maya 2012
6. How will the project(s) support the development of your focus/area of personal investigation as you move into level 6?
I want to focus on post production, visual effects and animation.
Due to my last film module not going as expected, the visual effects were not satisfactory as I had planned it to be, so this time I will provide myself with enough time to create visual effects for the promotional video.
I want to focus on the graphic design side of the media industry and work with image manipulation (post production is similar if not exactly like image manipulation).
I did not choose game because animation is a part of game, film, CGI, etc.
I like the fact that animation can get involved with almost everything.
I also like concept art and will design some concept art of the character for the questioning part of the video.
I want to mix together animation and image manipulation and this brief will allow me to achieve this.
7. Please List any Relevant Research Opportunities
(eg, Festivals, Work Shadowing, Industry Talks)
Bibliography for Independent Practice
( eg. Books , Periodicals, Magazines, Online Journals, Papers, Films, DVD extras – etc )
– Please use Harvard Referencing.
Magazines (Not yet specified which edition/print:
Computer Arts, Future Publishing
Digit, IDG Publishing
CineFX, CineFX Publishing
Digital Arts, IDG Publishing
EDGE, Future Publishing
GamesTM, Imagine Publishing
3D World, Future Publishing
ImagineFX, Future Publishing
Sight and Sound
Broadcast Magazine, EMAP
Andrew Kramer (2012) Video Copilot [online], http://www.videocopilot.net/ (Accessed 10 April 2012)
Creative Cow (2012) Creative Communities Of The World [online], http://www.creativecow.net/ (Accessed 10 April 2012)
Envato (2012) AE Tuts Plus [online], http://ae.tutsplus.com/ (Accessed 10 April 2012)
Envato (2012) PSD Tuts Plus [online], http://psd.tutsplus.com/ (Accessed 10 April 2012)
DN Documentary.net (2012) International Documentary Network [online], http://documentary.net/ (Accessed 10 April 2012)
This Brief was just a first attempt and it was realized that there is too much to take on in this brief when the module is a simple small module that wouldn’t allow time to complete a cramped brief like this. Therefore I decided that a more simple brief like a music video should be taken up because it would be challenging as well as be able to be completed in time.